In this post, we will discuss the high-protein diet.
It’s called a high-protein diet because this diet method requires you to consume more protein and fewer carbohydrates, as simple as that.
Because it reduces carbs intake and increases protein intake, this diet method is also known as a low-carb, high-protein diet.
Related Article: Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet: 4 Things to Know Before Applying It
You can start this diet by eating dairy products, meat, beans and legumes, fish, eggs and high-protein vegetables such as broccoli and lentils.
At the same time, you also need to reduce carbohydrates consumption, these include highly processed foods such as rice, candy, bread and other baked goods, and white pasta.
Okay, now let’s discuss in more detail a few things about this diet method.
Step by step to get started
A high-protein diet is very easy to follow because basically you only need to increase protein consumption and reduce carbs consumption.
In practice, you can make your own diet plan by following these 6 guidelines:
- Make a notebook that lists food and its protein content. You can use an application or website that provides data on thousands of foods and their protein content.
- Figure out your protein needs. The way is to multiply your weight in kilograms by 1.2–1.6 grams.
- Consume at least 25–30 grams of protein in each meal.
- Choose foods with high-quality protein sources.
- Eat well-balanced meals. Include fruits, vegetables, and other plant foods into your every meal to balance high-protein foods.
- Include both plant and lean animal sources to your diet.
Now, you already know how easy it is to make your own diet plan for weight loss.
By following these 6 guidelines, right now, you can make your meal plan for a week.
Foods to eat
In any diet program, choosing the right food to eat is the key to the success of the diet that is being followed…
…on the contrary, choosing the wrong food will destroy all your efforts to lose weight.
Well, below are some foods with very good protein content that are suitable for various types of high-protein diets:
- dairy products, such as cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, or cow’s milk
- whey or plant protein shakes
- sprouted grain bread
- chili peppers
- bell peppers
- nuts and seeds, such as almonds, sunflower seeds, and peanuts
- leaner cuts of beef
- turkey breasts
- sweet potato
- vegetables, including artichokes, broccoli, and asparagus
- beans, such as black beans or garbanzo beans
- chicken breasts
- fish, including salmon, tuna, trout, halibut, and haddock
As you can see, there are many good protein sources to start your diet, so if you are allergic to a certain food you still have many other choices.
Foods to avoid
Besides consuming the foods recommended above, you also need to avoid certain foods.
Some foods can totally destroy your diet plan to lose weight, so be sure to avoid these types of foods:
- highly processed foods
- foods labeled “diet products” from manufacturers, because these types of products often contain artificial sweeteners in excessive amounts
- products made using refined sugar, this includes sodas, candy, and baked goods
If you are on a high protein diet by following the 6 guidelines above, while avoiding these three types of food, it is likely that you will see a decrease in your weight.