Unlike good carbs that can help or even fasten the weight loss process, bad carbs for weight loss work on the other way.
Consumption of such carbs in large amount may disturb the diet program.
Sometimes, they come as stealth calories, thus making them undetectable by the dieters’ body.
Stealth calories are even more dangerous, since you may take them in large amount without recognizing that you build them up in your body.
Bad Carbs for Weight Loss and Their Characters
Recognizing bad carbs for weight loss is the first step you need to do to avoid them.
The following are main characteristics of carbs you should avoid to make sure that your diet program is on the right path:
- High in dense calories. They are mostly processed carbs that come in the form of snacks, like energy ban. Even few bites of such snacks supply your body with a bunch of calories.
- Liquid calories. They are the most dangerous stealth calories. Liquid calories come the form of refined sugars, such as corn syrup, white sugar that you usually put into the coffee or tea, and sweetened fruit juices. Soft drinks belong to this type of bad calories for weight loss.
- Refined grains, such as white flour. They are widely found in processed snacks, cakes, cookies.
- Low in nutrients, low in fibers, and (usually) high in sodium. Fast foods like junk foods and French fries belong to this category. They are widely found in instant food store.
- High in saturated fats, high in cholesterol, and high in trans fats. Actually, not all fats and cholesterols are bad for diet program. Bad fats and cholesterol are common in canned foods.
Most of those dangerous carbs are very familiar in your daily life, right?
Avoiding them is the key to a successful diet program.
…The following are detailed discussions of foods high in bad carbs that may lead to a diet failure.
Bad Carbs for Weight Loss That You Should Avoid
Actually, general characteristics of bad carbs for weight loss have been discussed above.
However, you need more detailed information on them.
Check them out below!
They are stealth calories that can get into your body smoothly…your body may not recognize them and treat them like water.
Studies found that sugary drinks are among the main contributors to obesity…They are rich in calories but poor in nutrition.
Sweetened beverages are not more than liquid sugars, they come undetected, as they do not provide you with the feeling of fullness.
Sugar-sweetened beverages include:
- Soft drinks
- Sweet tea and coffee
- Fruit cocktails
- Fruit juices with added sugar
- Sweetened milk, and many more
Refined Grains and Snacks
As the name suggests, refined grains are processed form of grains.
A number of studies found that refined grains are significantly related to weight gain.
Refined grains include foods made of white flour, white pasta, white bread, and white rice.
The case is different with whole grains, such as wheat, whole-wheat pasta, and brown rice…the latter category belongs to the group of good carbs for weight loss.
Furthermore, if you want your weight under check, make sure to limit the intake of sweet snacks, like candy, sweet baked goods, pastries, ice cream, and chocolate bars.
It is true that there are healthy forms of sweetener…They are also called natural sweeteners, which are widely used to enrich the flavor of foods.
The “healthy” sweeteners include honey, agave, or maple syrup.
Despite many benefits for your health, consumption of “natural” sweeteners may lead to weight gain.
In fact, a teaspoon of honey contains more calories than a teaspoon of sugar does.
Even little addition of natural sweeteners supplies your foods with extra calories.
…Therefore, make sure to take them in moderation.
Actually, potatoes are not bad carbs for weight loss.
Boiled potatoes are good for health, as they are packed with nutrients.
However, potatoes have become an important part of sedentary lifestyle…They are widely served in instant food store.
Potatoes actually contain more calories, compared to any calories.
…Too much consumption of potatoes is linked to weight gain.
They come in the form of mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, and French fries.
Those who spend much time away from home are at increased risk for taking too many potatoes.
If you want a successful diet program, try to make potatoes a seasonal treat.
The Bottom Line
Carbs are not bad for your body!
…Instead, you need them as the source of energy.
The point is choosing good carbs that provide you with more nutrients and keep longer satiety.
Bad carbs for weight loss only provide you with instant fullness.
They have high glycemic index that can spike blood sugars and lead to weight gain.